College Without the Campus FAQ #7

FAQ #7

Q: What about financial aid for distance learners?

A: Student financial aid is available through three sources: from the government at both the federal and state levels, from colleges and universities directly, and from private parties. The main criterion for a distance learner to receive financial aid is if the student is enrolled. This is understandable, since it is easier to ensure that the aid is used as intended if a student is enrolled.

For aid from the federal government, students are required to be enrolled at an accredited institution.[1] Thus, once a student enrolls, she will be eligible for funding regardless of whether she attends on campus or off campus. The same is true for aid from state governments, from colleges and universities directly, and from most—if not all—private organizations. Once the students enroll, they are eligible for aid. The good news for unenrolled, off-campus students is that the reasonable fees of non-traditional learning can preclude the need for financial aid.

[1] an accredited institution.

Black mortarboard from College Without the Campus

FAQ #18

Q: Should I take CLEP’s College Composition or College Composition Modular?

A: It depends on how many credits you want to earn and which college you are transferring the test to. The American Council on Education recommends six credits for College Composition and three credits for College Composition Modular without the optional essay portion and six credits with the essay portion.

Colleges will usually specify on their website which composition test they accept or prefer and how many credits each test is worth. For example, TESU’s CLEP page in the Undergraduate University Catalog shows that TESU does not prefer one test over the other (both tests are accepted) and that College Composition is worth six credits, while Modular is worth three credits.[i]

[i] TESU’s CLEP page in the Undergraduate University Catalog See page 100 in the Undergraduate University Catalog available here:


FAQ #17

Q: Which CLEP tests are recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) to be worth six credits?


  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • College Composition
  • College Mathematics
  • Natural Sciences
  • Social Sciences and History
  • French, German, and Spanish language tests, worth six or nine credits, depending on your score.